Saturday, July 14, 2018

Wheat Street Dogs Review

Wichita continues to have a growing food truck culture, and one of the newest additions to the group of trucks is Wheat Street Dogs.  They're a vegan hot dog cart that started earlier this year and have been pretty good reviews. They were near work for me the other day, so I decided to try them out.  I am by no means a vegan (see my other food reviews), but I have no problem branching out and trying something new. 

The cart makes their dogs themselves, from a variety of began ingredients.  They currently have a few specialty dogs and their standard Ball park dog.  I saw this month they had a Banh Mi dog, and had to give it a go.  A banh mi is a Vietnamese sandwich that I am always drawn to, so this dog had a bit to live up to.  The hot dog was prepared it looks like by having been heated up in a water bath, and then placed on a small flat top grill on the cart to finish it.  This was a nice touch because it also let them give the bun a little bit of a toasting which was a nice addition.  The owner warned some customers after me this one might be a little spicy, since it had both jalapenos and a sriracha mayo, but I went ahead and added some extra sriracha just to kick the heat up a bit more.



 The toppings for the dog were delicious and plentiful.  The daikon and carrots had been done just right, so they were still crisp and had just a right amount of sour tinge.  The mayo and hoisin were at good levels, although I wish there had been a little more kick to the mayo.  If I hadnt added the sriracha there would have been little heat overall.  The only other minor complaint was I wish the cilantro had been a little more chopped up, because it fell off right away on the first bite.  The bun was also good, although it might be a little thick for all the other toppings that were loaded on.  As to the dog itself, I liked the taste.  A little less sweet than regular hot dogs tend to be, and it was certainly of a good size overall.  The hoisin suce paired very nicely with it in every bit.  The only issue I had was that it tended to be a little chewier.  Not a big detriment, but something I was not expecting really.

I'll need to try them again when they dont have such a tempting specialty dog to give the regular ball park a full on try. But Wheat Street Dogs are likely going to find more fans and add a very different take on food here to the Wichita scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment