Friday, January 25, 2019

A look at my Broncos Rookie Projections for 2018-2019

As with every action you take in life, its good to look back and see where you were right and wrong.  And so before I really start breaking down some players that I think the Broncos should look at this year, its time to look at my projections for last year's rookie class were.

The first point I need to make is that I made projections for every drafted player, and that was a severe miss on my part, because it excluded Phillip Lindsay.  The Colorado Buffaloes standout played an integral part for the Broncos, even bigger than I could have imagined. And that was a big miss.  This next year I'll try to make sure to include any standout UDFA through training camp as well in my projections.

Bradley Chubb: Projected 7 Sacks, 28 tackles      
Actual 12 Sacks, 41 tackles. 
Miss
Boy did I undersell Chubbs, potential for a breakout season this year. Chubb was everything the preseason hype expected and a bit more.  He slid fluidly into the run stopping role as well.  I'm quite excited to see what he does for an encore as he adjusts to the NFL.

Courtland Sutton: Projected 45 Catches, 620 Yards, 4 TDs    
Actual 42 Catches, 704 yards 4 TDS
Hit
I was pretty spot on here.  Sutton early in the season took advnatg of teams having to defend DT and Sanders, but kept his production up when trades and injury forced him into action.  He was one of my favorite players this season because he constantly just showed a drive to win despite some poor circumstances.  His poor catch rate I think improves this next year dramatically as a new offensive scheme I think helps him.

Royce Freeman: Projected 175 Carries, 780 Yards, 5 TDs
Actual 130 Carries 521 Yards 5 TDs
Middle
Royce had a solid season that ended up a bit marred by nagging injuries.  He was supplanted by the aforementioned Lindsay as a starter, and had several big runs but overall struggled with the leap to the NFL.  A new scheme I think will help, as well as getting healthy this offseason.

Isaac Yiadom: Projected 8 Passes Defensed, 2 Interceptions, 24 Tackles
Actual 3 Passes Defensed, 1 Int, 20 tackles
Miss
I was pretty high on the BC standout before the season, and thought he would be able to lock down that third spot thanks largely to his impressive size and strength.  However Yiadom was frequently burnt by opposing wideouts and struggled through most of the season.  However, he looked to be turning that corner by the end of the season, so hopefully this year he can shine

Josey Jewell: Projected 48 tackles
Actual 58 tackles
Hit
Jewell was a gem for this class.  His instinctual play and solid coverage capability was a huge asset to a team that saw Brandon Marshall miss a lot of game action again.  I'm quite excited to see him grow and I think he could supplant Davis (who had an excellent year himself) as the regular starter if Denver decided to add another stud ILB early in the draft this year.

DaSean Hamilton: Projected 25 Catches, 245 yards, 3 TDs
Actual 30 Catches, 243 yards, 2 TDs
Hit
Boy did I peg this one.  Hamilton had some injuries this year, but he played solid ball late in the year when he needed to step up.  With Sutton and Tim Patrick this receiver corps is very solid going forward.

Troy Fumagali: Projection6 Catches, 100 Yards
Actual IR 
Push
Fumigali will be one to look at this next year, but an injury sidelined him and let a few other Journeymen TEs shine.

Sam Jones: Projection Practice Squad
Actual On Team
Push
Jones never got much playing time this year, and really only saw the field because of injuries late in the year.  However he could make a push for one of the Guard spots if he takes to the tutelage of Munchak.

Kieshawn Bierria: Practice Squad
Actual On Team 
Miss
Bierria saw action as a special teamer and a few defensive snaps.  He'll likely reprise that role this next year.

David Williams: 25 carries, 80 yards, 1 TD
Actual Cut
Miss
With the appearance of Lindsay Williams never had a chance really.  He ended up with the Jags after they plucked him from the practice squad

No comments:

Post a Comment