Saturday, June 1, 2019

Keyforge AoA pre release event Results and Thoughts

Thursday was the launch of the new Age of Ascension set for Keyforge. My FLGS scheduled a sealed event for that evening.  This was my first organized play event for Keyforge so I was a little nervous. It didn't help that I hadn't played regularly in a bit more than a month.  But the crowd was friendly and the decks we all got seemed to be in roughly similar power levels. I opened The One who sadly Believes in Sadness.  Its quite different from my best two Call of the Archons decks. The board state is much more pronounced and there is much less pure aember generation. Stormcrawler was an MVP all night helping slow down decks while Tantadin was effective at emptying one opponents archive through our game. I will need a reminder for my Grovekeeper to remember to actually do his ability as well. I do however have to get a bit better with Exhume and not finished with you, and when to pull them. I was also a little disappointed by just how vulnerable Duskwitch is.  Her ability is very good, but she was pretty easy to remove it felt like.


Overall I like the deck, but I ended up just 1-2 on the evening. The first game was tight and I was up 2 keys to 1 with a good board state and a chance to reap and win the following turn. However my opponent played Martin Generosity and Key Abduction to generate a ton of aember and essentially 2 keys. The second game I won pretty handily. My opponent ran out of gas after a quick early key and I was able to keep his board pretty barren through some fights and Natures call. The last game my opponent had a good shadow thief deck and just kept stealing aember. I couldn't get down to my pixies either to help protect myself. Also I kept trying to ping his Bad Penny's back to his hand and get Tezmal to lock them there but it never worked out right.I think with a little more experience this deck would be a very fun one to play, and can time itself correctly to have a huge oppressive board.  The event was a ton of fun and hopefully Ill get to do some more here in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment