Saturday, March 31, 2018

Imperial Assault: Tournament Report

We had our little tournament that I had mentioned in this article previously, with a small turnout of just 4 players.  Its not too uncommon, and especially with Legion sucking all the air out of the room so we at least got to have a fun afternoon of three games.

In my first matchup, I played against Donovan who I think I have played in just about every Star Wars FFG branded game tournament I've participated in.  We drew Jabba's Palace, the map with picking up the crates that slow you down.  Donovan was running a Han and eRangers list that also had Hera, Gideon, 3P0 and Ko Tun.  I didn't get any practice time on this map with my list so I was a little worried, and as it turned out for good reason.  My opponent had initiative, and took the blue deployment zone on the map.  I decided I should try to shimmy down towards the rancor pit and avoid opening the door the first round to avoid unnecessary Ranger shots.  What I should have done however was probably just been more aggressive and move right in to try and do damage and use the Force Lightning from the Emperor.  He picked off a jet at the start of round two, and Han with Return Fire killed a Sentry after rolling two dodges.  I dropped my Riots into the pit to grab those crates there and help to rack up points.  However as the game went on attrition took its toll and I made a mistake with the emperor leavign him in a spot that several Rangers could see.  I had mis counted where he was at and that pretty much ended my comeback chance. 

Next game I played Brad on Nal Hutta, the shield mission.  Brad was running a Heroic Effort list with Leia, Asohka, Gideon, 3P0, Jerrod, Mak, Loku and Hera.  My opponent again had initiative, and took the Red Zone again.  He moved Mak up early to hold the shield on my right, while I moved my Riots to be in position the next turn to get to that SHield Generator.  He also moved Loku up to contest one of the coser center lane shield.  I decided to try some long range shots on Mak, and a Dodge and 2 damage was all I could get out of it.  I normally have moved my Jets in to take the Shield closer to my side on the elft, but I decided to be a little aggressive and have them move to the center to try and engage Loku, Hera and Leia.  I ended up killing Loku with some pot shots as I moved in.  I next used the EMperor to kill Mak with one of the Sentrys, but had to leave the shield to Leia.  Asohka came down and took the sheild near me on the left.  As the game went on I was able to kill Hera, Leia and Gideon with a combination of lightning and fly bys, while the Riots finshed off Jerrod.  I took the game fairly easily thanks largely to that big first round, and despite Brad's command deck just constantly stifling me with Intel leak and Comms Disruption.

THe Last game I played against Matt.  He was playing a janky list with Bantha, double eNexu, eClawdite, Jawa, Gideon and 3P0.  This was a tough list to play against on the Mos Eisley back alleys, because all of my figures get clumped together.  He took the indoor deployment zone, and I took the exterior one.  I moved my Riots up to my easily contestable crate, and then really tried to split forces as best I could.  The Batha moved down the middle, ending on the two center crates.  One of his Nexus made it down the hallway and got in quite a bit of damage onto one Sentry, and was able to cleave the other.  I thought I was in good position, but ater the doors opened he Jundland Terrored my troopers, and I made the mistake of having gone with my Sentrys to start my turn (to eliminate the Nexu and hopefully keep the Sentry alive. It had worked, except that the Bantha then stomped and killed a set of Jets and my officer in one activation!  Things looked pretty grim, but my Riots put some serious damage on the remaining Nexu, and forced it to etreat before I could kill it.  Then with my remaining Jets and the emperor I finsihed off the Bantha.  To start the next round, I tried to take initiative, but he negated it.  I was able to roll well enough though to keep my very wounded Jet alive through a Jawa attack.  I again made a misplay, when I should have left the Jawa alone and just focused on killing the Nexu, since the Emperor was nearby enough to just lightning him to death.  But the Nexu had just a single health, and I had forgotten about the Feeding Frenzy on the Nexu.  That allowed him to pull two wounds off and kill another Jet.  The emperor though finished off the nexu and put a little damage on the Clawdite.  His clawdite then moved over and finished off the last Jet.  The game ended in a tie then, but I had killed just one more point of figures to win the game on tie breaks. 

All in all it was a lot of fun.  The Sentrys were good but seemed a little capped on damage.  The Riots were darn near impossible to push off places that they controlled, and the Jets did Jet things.  Palpatine was solid, but I could never get enough damage on to tempt someone right then to finsih them off.  I think if I had practiced a it more on Jabbas I would have realized the aggressive play was probably better there, and in the last game I just had a couple of mistakes that thinking back on it I should have done differently.  Overall I went 2-1, and three of us all tied for first.  So a good afternoon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment