Sunday, January 21, 2018

Battle Report: Dodonna Liberty vs Dual Glad Squadrons

In likely the last game I'll be able to get in before the launch of Wave 7, I decided it was time to try out some of the new Rebels faction ships I received as gifts n the last portion of the year.  I wanted to try out the Liberty, but I wanted to try something a little different from the typical Madine lists I've seen posted online.  It does however need the extra mobility that Madine can allow, so I decided to toss Nav Techs and Raymus on board.  Its a little bit more expensive than just running ET, but it lets me either jump from 1-3and back again, or gives me some supreme mobility.  I paired that with a Salvation Neb, and a TRC -90.  I also had a pair of Transports, one as the combat retrofit.  I had never run the combat version, but several folks on the FFG forums swear by using them with Torryn Farr on the regular version to provide re0rolls on AA fire.  The plan would typically be to use the MC up front and follow up with the Neb, allowing the transports to shield the flanks from squads and the 90 to flank.

Here's the full list

MC80 Battle Cruiser (103 + 64)
+ General Dodonna (20)
+ Raymus Antilles (7)
+ Gunnery Team (7)
+ Leading Shots (4)
+ Nav Team (4)
+ Spinal Armament (9)
+ XX-9 Turbolasers (5)
+ Mon Karren (8)
Nebulon-B Support Refit (51 + 12)
+ Dual Turbolaser Turrets (5)
+ Salvation (7)
CR90 Corvette A (44 + 9)
+ Turbolaser Reroute Circuits (7)
+ Jaina's Light (2)
GR-75 Combat Retrofits (24 + 5)
+ Leia Organa (3)
+ Comms Net (2)
GR-75 Medium Transports (18 + 9)
+ Toryn Farr (7)
+ Bright Hope (2)
Shara Bey (17)
2 x YT-2400 (2 x 16)
A-wing Squadron (11)

My opponent was a good friend of mine who was running a Dual Gladiator, Dual Raider squadron fleet.  I've played against it several times, so I knew off the top that while the Gladiators can be trouble, the Squadrons are how this list wins.  He ran Maarek Steele, Jendon, Rudor, Gamma Squad, Tempest Squadron and a generic Phantom.  This list is great against fighters with a lot of high hull killers, and then they're very good at plinking ships down so they're damaged by the time the Glads close in.   

We played Contested Outpost.  From the outset I positioned things poorly.  He ended up placing his Gozanti and a Raider with the squad compliment on my far right, and Insidious and the other Raider on the far left.  I had the Neb and transports pointed at the station in the middle, and the (0 on the far left running a little off parallel to my edge.  The MC80 ended up on the far right, with Demolisher set a little closer to the middle.  My thought with the 80 had been at speed 3 I could potentially one shot both the Raider and Gozanti and either force Demo to turn hard to deal with it or risk getting caught from behind.  The plan started out poorly, as his gozanti quickly turned hard to stay far away from the MC80, while the Raider withstood a full blast at medium Range on turn 2 with a single Motti hull remaining.  He slow rolled Demolisher and moved the squads in towards the station.  On the far left Jain'as light was in a run for her life from Insidious and the Raider, but luckily with our activations being equal I was able to never allow Insidious to take the medium range black die shot and the Raider couldnt activate at the right tempo to catch it.  My squadrons were able to get in and kill the phantom right away, but I ended up losing Shara Bey in the exchange.  At that point though, the transports were able to start whittling down the remaining squads, with some hyper efficient rolls.  Torryn boosted blues are no joke. 

 The Transports also helped to block Demolisher off from Salvation, but it didn't end up lasting long after it was able to scooch past them a turn later.  In a couple of turns I ended up losing Salvation and the 90, trading in for the Raider and a bit of damage on on Insidious and Demo.  The transports were able to finish off all but Valen Rudor and Jendon for his squadrons, while Mon Karren made the hard turn to start putting shots onto Demo.  Luckily for me, because of Demo's angle to chase down Salvation and the 90, he ended up having to be in range of Mon Karren, who promptly destroyed him, killing Motti as well.  That ended up popping the one hull raider, and the one hull Gozanti as well!.  From there Demolisher ran off and I spent a round sitting on the station picking up some extra points.  

In the end I got a little lucky in a few choices by my opponent, but I did enjoy very much the ability of the Liberty to dance some circles Nav Techs and Raymus.  The transports did their job exactly as well.  The Neb continues to support that it likely is best used as a carrier rather than a combat ship, as long as torpedo boats continue to remain popular. 

No comments:

Post a Comment