Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Home Cooking: Sausage and Peppers with Tomato Sauce


While I was back home visiting my folks we had dinner at an Italian place that I got sausage and peppers at. Its one of my favorite straightforward meals, but my wife is only lukewarm to it. So when I got back home and she was visiting family with the baby, I decided to Make myself some with a little light tomato veggie sauce.

Making your own sauce is (more of a culi I guess) is pretty easy. It takes a little time but is easy and well worth it. I started with 5 Roma tomatoes, a stall of celery, and 4 carrots. First I let the celery and carrots sweat in a bit of olive oil until they started to get nice and soft, about 10-15 minutes of medium low heat.  Then I added 2 cloves of garlic and the tomatoes, and continued to let that go for about another 10 minutes or so.  Finally I tuned the stove to low, added a quarter cup of balsamic vinegar (more or less to your taste), and a half a cup of chicken stock.  I also added a bit of rosemary, thyme, crushed red pepper and salt to round out the flavor and give it a little kick.  I let that simmer then the rest of the time.

Everything in and starting to smell good.
After a bit of simmering























It was then time to start the peppers and sausage.  Added a little more olive oil to a cast iron pan. and added 2 large green bell peppers and a medium white onion.  Set them to one side and added the sausages as well to the pan.  I let the onions and peppers get good and caramelized and soft, so about 12 minutes with the Sausages.  I seasoned them with salt and pepper.
Starting them out


At this point I also boiled some pasta.  I would have preferred some spaghetti, but the store had a special on these spirals that had a box of them for 75 cents.  So I couldn't say no.


Finished product
This made a ton of sauce, and was extremely tasty for several days worth of noodles and sauce. 

No comments:

Post a Comment